Bostik Best Adhesive
is one of the few adhesive manufacturers that will warranty the
installation of Mirage
Engineered Wood Flooring with their moisture-cured urethane
And why I use Mirage Engineered Hardwood, as the example is because
it has one of the thickest real wood layers of all North American
Engineered Flooring. The thicker the wood, the more likely it
will want to cup, expand and contract with environmental changes
in humidity .. and thus the greater the challenge to find a glue
that is elastic enough to provide a tough and flexible bond, over
the life of the floor.... AND to a variety of substrates. It must
allow the wood to move and still stay stuck!
And yes I know it is expensive, but like good quality paint you
get what you pay for..... if after 5 coats of paint and you still
don't have coverage, its not a good buy... but when it comes to
flooring you only get one kick at the can. If you don't use something
like the Bostik Best glue, and use instead its cheaper cousin,
when the floor lets go you really don't have too many option in
fixing the installation.
It is particularly important when you have incompatible products
like gluing a wood backed floor to concrete... they don't like
sticking to each other in the first place so best not to take
Added Features of Bostik BEST:
- not affected by moisture
- contains no nasty solvents or volatile organic compounds.
- mild smell
- contains no water so will not affect dimensions of wood flooring
during installation and dry time, nor will it be affected by
water after drying
- Freeze/Thaw Stable
- contains Bostik's BLOCKADE™ antimicrobial protection, to inhibits
bacteria, mold, or mildew growth on the surface of the dried
- Engineered hardwood flooring
- ceramic tile & marble
- over radiant heat
- traditional plywood subfloors
- cement (as long as it is cured & clean)
- typically installed with a V notched trowel but follow the
instructions offered by the flooring manufacturer
- must have a minimum of 80% coverage.
- recommended that the floor be rolled to ensure proper contact
between floor and substrate.
- higher humidity will cause this glue to cure faster
- under normal conditions light traffic is acceptable after
- many flooring products recommend rolling after installation
to smooth out glue and guarantee good connection between floor
Immediately clean any adhesive on pre-finished flooring with
Bostik® Ultimate Adhesive Remover or a soft towel and mineral
spirits. (Be careful not to harm finish.) Do not allow mineral
spirits to sit on hardwood surface... likewise with your tools.
Once cured it is significantly harder to remove so best to watch
as you go along.
- Bostik BEST hardwood flooring adhesive does requires a strong
arm for spreading, so the next evolution in urethane glues,
to combat this complaint, is Bostik's newest:
- Doesn't hold a ridge as high as some installers would like,
to address greater unevenness in the subfloor and still make
contact with the underside of the flooring being installed...
again TKO is a technological improvement over Bostik Best
Bostik’s Technical Service Department
1-978-750-7356 or 1-800-523-6530
Installing Engineered Hardwood
Flooring Over Concrete